Tuesday, February 25, 2014

"It will be different when...."

People often believe that things in their life will be different when... they move into a new apartment, get a gym membership, buy that new shirt, settle down with that special someone, get married, buy a house, have a baby... it's always WHEN that happens, THIS will happen.

I've started to think the same when I think of moving into our new house. There's a difference between thinking that things will be different, and MAKING them different. What sparked this post was me thinking to myself after seeing this blog post from 312 Beauty about changing morning habits and drinking more tea and beverages that are antioxidant-filled instead of coffee for 4 hours a day. Let me draw out for what went through my head when I read that: "I'm going to start drinking this kind of thing when we move into the house." And the next thought that went through my head was "why can't you just do this now?!?"

I've never really been that kind of person to think that just because big changes come, I or my life will be different (without me trying at all). For instance, I never said to myself before I got engaged, or before I got married that things would change in my relationship just because we were beginning this chapter of our lives. I was happy with the way things were, and I knew if things changed, they would only get better because we were getting closer... WE were making the change ourselves. The only thing I knew would be different was that we were finally moving in together after being together for 5 years, and it was a true fact that things would be different WHEN we moved in together. It's wasn't some fantasy thought in my mind. It would change things for the better.

Anyways, I digress. I've started doing all this "fantasy" thinking a lot more lately in terms of what my life, what our life, will be like when we move into the house. I know it will be different in ways... how can they not be!? We're finally in a place where we'll be for more than a year, we'll have space we won't know what to do with for a few years, we'll have the opportunity, space and time to become the most organized people you'll ever meet, and the space to have a well-stocked kitchen to get us through a month-long snow storm. Yes, all that will change, but what's not to say I can't change some of that now while we're still in the apartment. I guess part of me is trying to just coast on through with the way things are right now in our apartment lifestyle which is absolutely amazing, and then let things change on their own time. We've done a great job keeping a healthy lifestyle (with our own cheat days that perhaps happen a bit too often for our own good), and that's only going to get better with easier access to grocery stores, amazing produce shops, and much more. We'll have more space downstairs to actually set up a nice yoga area/workout room, set up the Kinect again and get some use out of it. I can't wait to see what kinds of changes will occur because we MAKE them happen, not because we're sitting around waiting for them to happen just because we have this new house.

So the moral of the story? Don't wait for the big changes to come from milestones in your life, make the changes happen yourself now. In the end, the question really is: why wait? Just do.

No comments:

Post a Comment