Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Zucchini Carrot Oatmeal Muffins

All day long yesterday I was really in the mood for some sort of a muffin but after our vacation, I knew I had to eat healthy. To my Pinterest board I went, checked out the "healthy board" and saw this recipe. I edited it a little bit, but didn't take any pictures besides the final product because we had a guest over (hey Devon!). It goes to show how simple this recipe is (read: no Kitchen Aid required). If you look past the sugar that's in here, it's a pretty healthy breakfast option. Pair one muffin with a yogurt or banana, and you have yourself a delicious, hearty (and pretty filling) breakfast. I hope you enjoy!






Ingredients:

1/2 cup rolled oats (I used Quakers Old Fashioned Oats)
1 cup all purpose flour
1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cup sugar (I know, I know, it's a big much)
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
3 eggs + 1 egg white
3/4 cup oil
1 cup grated zucchini
1 cup grated carrot
optional: 3/4 cup raisins (I didn't use these - I thought I had a box at home but I didn't. They still turned out really good)

Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl and set aside. In a separate bowl, whisk eggs and oil. Stir in grated zucchini and carrots. Add to dry ingredients and stir until combined.
3. Fill muffin cups about 3/4 full and bake for about 15-20 minutes. They are done when a toothpick (or knife, or fork) comes out clean and tops spring back when lightly touched.

Enjoy for breakfast, afternoon stack or even dessert!




No comments:

Post a Comment