Monday, March 24, 2014

Hunting for a New Mattress

So, with a new house comes a new bed, right? Well, maybe not in all cases but in ours, it's a must. Mr. K (we, collectively made the decision) bought a new (used from Craigslist. Funny story though, it was a friend of mine who was selling it) bed when we moved into his last apartment, his "bachelor pad." His previous mattress was a bit old and it was seriously dipping in the middle. At first, this new bed/mattress was doing its job. It was a $225 frame and Ikea mattress that had two storage drawers on each side. It was genius since he was moving into a much smaller place. Since we bought it (we will have had it for two years this June I guess), we've had a 3" memory topper which we got rid of because it was too much and it was seriously uncomfortable. We now have an egg crate-type topper because the comfy mattress pad we had before wasn't enough. So we have both on the mattress and it's seriously messing with not only our backs and necks, but our sleep patterns as well. Mr. K has always had back issues so it's not helping that; I've never had issues but since moving in with each other and sleeping on the bed every night, I've had more neck and back pain than I've ever had before. The mattress doesn't even have coils. It's on slats, and we haven't found that adjusting the slats make ANY difference whatsoever. We're not saying this is a bad buy,  it's just not something we can live with for another long while.
Ikea Bed: Looks like our bed, note the two storage boxes on each side. They are a lifesaver in small apartments!


After our visit to the house last Saturday (this past weekend's visit is a story for another post..), we went to a few furniture stores to check out couches for the basement and other items (for future purchase, we're being good!). When we got to one store, we went upstairs and they had mattresses, so we had to check those out. We laid on quite a lot of them and then came back around to the Tempurpedic section. Mr. K loves the Tempurpedic options because they're the best for his back. I on the other hand am not a huge fan of them, I guess because I'm used to regular, individual coil mattresses, and we laid on a few awesome ones! I will say though, that I laid on a certain Tempurpedic mattress for about 10 minutes and felt great after getting up even after a few minutes on it. I think I'm turning the corner, but I just don't know if I can commit without learning more about them both and trying them out for longer. (In the end, I have a feeling we'll end up with a Tempurpedic, but I at least have to do my research and compare!)

Tempurpedic Cloud Supreme


The other mattresses we liked were one from Sterns & Foster and another from Posturpedic. The Posturpedic mattress had more of a pillow top which I loved, but probably because it's just so flippin' soft and comfy! But my question is, is it durable overtime like the memory foam would be? I've read it can get too soft, and it might not be as good for Mr. K's back as we're hoping in the future.

Cameron Springs
The Sterns & Foster mattresses we liked were wonderful and comfortable also. I think it comes down to durability and comfort for both of us. I've heard so many people say that some of the best sleeps they've had have been on Tempurpedic mattresses, and as I sit here with a pain in my neck and upper back, I'm likely to feel the same way. Mr. K is a back-sleeper, while I'm more of a side and stomach sleeper. I used to always fall asleep on my stomach until this bed just got way too uncomfortable. How bad is it that I can't even stay on my stomach for more than 10 minutes without having to move and feeling sore just after that short time. UGH! These next two weeks are going to be so long while we wait to order a bed for the next house.

Let me know what your thoughts are... if you weren't a Tempurpedic fan but you have one now, are you happy? Do you not have one and wish you did? Do you hate it? Let me know!!


No comments:

Post a Comment