Tuesday, March 25, 2014

We Were Locked Out!

This past weekend was (edit: supposed to be) our last weekend spent together in the city. It's funny because I say this like we're moving so far away. We're not, it's just going to be a big change. This coming weekend I was going to go to NYC with my mom and her friend, and meet  her daughter in the city for a ladies' weekend. Edit: we're not anymore because who likes to spend a lot of money and visit NYC when it's 60%+ chance of rain, 50 degrees and windy all weekend? Not conducive to shopping and walking around beautiful Central Park, so we're rescheduling. We were all really looking forward to this getaway, so we're hoping we can find a common weekend between now and the end of June! Fingers crossed!

Back to what I was saying though... While we were hanging out at the apartment last Saturday & Sunday, it hit me that this was our last Saturday just laying our in this little apartment. The next time we're just "laying around" is going to be in a house with probably lots of other things to do - unpacking, organizing, making countless trips to Home Depot (good thing it's only about a 7 minute drive!) and getting settled into this new suburban lifestyle. I'll finally be getting my car back full-time and can't wait! The suburban blood in me is really starting to stir, and I'm getting super excited. My mom has been driving my car for awhile since it's been sitting at the house for the past year, and she got a new car this weekend, a pretty sweet Honda CRV, right in time for her "lease" to be up on my car (aka she had to find something before we moved out to the 'burbs because I'll need it back)! So many exciting changes happening for everyone.

So back to the house...
We went out to the house on Saturday. Did the same thing we did the weekend before, rode the metro out to where my parents had left Mr. K's car (his has been sitting at my parents' house too for the last couple of years because there was no way we were going to pay $200/mo. to park in our building and quite frankly he just hasn't needed it). Construction on the lot was pretty quite on Saturday. There was no one working on our block (there are 4 houses on our side of the block, 4 on the other). It's probably because all of the houses are just about to settlement time, so there's really not much to be done. We parked in the back of the house, entered through the garage door which was open like usual... locked. The house itself was locked. I was nervous this would happen (don't tell Mr. K) and had a slight feeling this would be the case when we drove up and saw only one pick-up truck in the back of our block. So, we went over to the model to talk to the new project manager. Our last project manager, Keith, had construction keys which allowed us to go into different style houses as they were being built to see how what some of the options were, etc. However, the new project manager said the superintendent is no longer giving them construction keys. Probably a liability. Understood.

So in our conversation with her, I said "well, that's alright. Our pre-settlement walk-thru is this Friday so we'll see it finished soon enough!" And she said, which was funny, "OH! If I had known that I wouldn't have given you the keys anyways. You can just hold your breath and see the finished product then!" It's true. We saw it almost complete a couple weeks ago, and it will be the greatest feeling when we see it on Friday. I didn't even peak inside so I have no idea what it all looks like. From the outside, we know that the sod still needs to be put down (we did see some bushes planted in the back!), the railings leading up to the front door need to be painted (they were primed a silver color this weekend, not my taste). But that's all we could tell from not peaking inside.

We are so excited for tomorrow! In the meantime, I've been busting my butt the last few days packing. There are a large amount of boxes already filled, and it's crazy to think that there's still so much to be done. I've taken care of some of the kitchen, the bathroom closet (to a certain extent, still have to leave some stuff in there), part of the utility closet which I'll finish up tonight and tomorrow. The bookshelves are empty. My bedside table is empty. Bookcases are cleaned. But there's still a lot to do! The last time we moved, we ordered this great moving kit from Amazon, Duck Brand Moving Kit.
Moving Kit
Duck Brand Moving Kit

It comes with 12 boxes of different sizes, 1 roll of HD clear packing tape, and 4 rolls of bubble wrap. At a cost of $39.97 you're really just paying for convenience at this point because it all comes in one huge box, but it's honestly well worth it. We ordered it again and it came in yesterday! I was way too excited to see it sitting in the living room when I got home last night.

Tonight brings more packing, but it honestly feels a little better knowing that I can pack throughout the weekend now that I'm not going to NYC.

Can't wait to give more updates after our pre-settlement meeting tomorrow morning! Please cross your fingers that all goes well and that there aren't too many things to fix!

No comments:

Post a Comment