Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Thanksgiving Breakfast: Pumpkin Donuts

So I know this title is bringing us all back to 2014, but it's so worth it. I promise.

Back in September, I decided to make pumpkin donuts for a ladies' brunch we were having in the neighborhood. My "Sunday Morning" Pinterest board, aka breakfast/brunch, is full of recipes, only maybe a handful that I've actually gotten around to trying. So, since it was the beginning of the Fall season, I thought I'd give anything pumpkin a recipe. Since then I've made them one or two more times, finding that I've used different recipes almost every time.

I decided I'd bring them to a Thanksgiving breakfast we've been going to for a few years now in my parents' neighborhood. The night before though was an interesting use of trial and error, to say the least. I followed a recipe for a blog, however it only made 12 donuts, and I needed at least 18-24. Doubling the recipe didn't work, and I wasn't a big fan of how the blog combined all of the ingredients. So, I went with another recipe that I thought was better and made much more sense. 



I ordered my Wilton Nonstick 6-Cavity Donut Pan from Amazon for less than $8, and it was such a great (and yummy) investment!





Yield: 18 donuts 
Temperature of Oven: 350
Baking Time: 15-18 minutes

Ingredients: 
1/2 Cup Vegetable Oil
3 eggs
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 1/2 cups pumpkin puree (canned pumpkin)
1 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin spice (I made my own, and I've included that mix below)
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 3/4 cups (+2 tablespoons) all-purpose flour

Pumpkin Spice: 
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger

 Directions: 
1. Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl except the flour. Beat ingredients until smooth. I use my Kitchen Aid with the baker's attachment.
2. Add in the flour slowly while mixing. Mix until just smooth.
3. Lightly grease the donut pan (if you have two, that's even better. It will make the process go a lot faster).
4. Fill the wells about 3/4 full
5. Bake for about 15-18 minutes, or until your tester is clear. (Just stick a fork or toothpick in it, and if it comes out dry/clear, then it's ready)
6. Let them sit for about 5 minutes and then empty onto a cooling rack.







Now, I've done this a few times now, and usually toss the donuts in a gallon ziploc bag of ground cinnamon and sugar. I usually just eye the amount I put in there, but for ingredient sake, here's my guess! Place in a ziploc bag, put a donut in there, zip it up and toss it around
2 tablespoons of sugar
1 tablespoon of ground cinnamon

This recipe never gets old, and it's definitely going to become a staple in this house during the Fall! Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment